Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Pondering moves/signings I Want the Mariners to make before Spring Training

The last couple days with the Rumor Mill working overtime with Bedard/Jones trade....

Well...I've only been thinking of what I feel are obvious things I DO NOT WANT TO SEE as a Mariner fan...not suggestions of what I want....so....

Most things in my mind are dependant.....kinda like Bedard....
Yeah I want him...I'm just not willing to cripple the future to do it.

Things I would like....

Bedard.....

Yeah, I would love to have King Felix and Erik Bedard.....I would love the discussions on the Forums of...."No, Felix is the #1" ...then someone else responds...."No Bedard is the clear Ace of the staff".......thats the kinda problem I would like the Mariners to have.

Conditions I would require to have to approve a Deal for Erik Bedard
1) We keep Adam Jones...UNLESS it is a straight up deal (one for one)....I know this is impossible...but thats how much I want Jones in a M's uniform for the next 5 years minimum.
I could bend a little if other prospects were expendable ....but..Jones and guys like Tillman and Truinfel in the same trade...i'd rather be dead.

2) Wlad being the cornerstone prospect of the deal....I just think he is more valuable for another team...at safeco...his power is diminished...other parks, he could flurish....not that I dont want him...I just think his value for the M's is trade power.

3) Max 1 pitching prospect included with Wlad....When ya see blockbuster trades...its always a starting pitcher....even middle of Rotation starters get good value in prospects.
Why does this matter?....because even if 2 out of 3 top pitching prospects bust.....if one of them can pitch for cheap 3-4 years...then trade them for 2-3 prospects....the cycle continues.
Morrow OR Tillman OR Butler.....not 2 or 3...ONE ONLY MAX

4) No Truinfel...for goodness sake...he's 17 and he's beyond where most 21 year olds are at....I keep hearing people comparing him to others.....HE'S SEVENTEEN AND IS IMPROVING MORE THAN 21+++ YEAR OLDS.....at this rate....when he is 20 he will be a stud.....
Yeah...its high risk...buts its a huge reward at the end of the rainbow.
To include him....well...I dont want to...but once again...straight up

5) Clement is okay to trade....As long as he wouldnt be a potential future 1B to replace Richie Sexson and backup Catcher...basically I wish I knew how Clement would be after 2008....
Lefty power is always good...I dunno....part of me says "yeah, he can be dealt"....the other part says "1B/C/DH for league minimum is VERY attractive".....
Basically if the O's want him...make it quick or I will change my mind

6) I am just unwilling to gut the farm.....I am probably more specific on what I WONT trade than most educated fans....half the trades that some people would seem reasonable...I would puke if I saw them.

I dunno...I just dont think the Mariners are that close to being an elite team....Playoff potential...yes...but I feel the chances of making the world series are in 2009/2010/2011 ranges with some of the youth in the pipeline...when Felix is going into his prime as one of the Best SP in MLB

Other things I want to see.
Ho-Ram cut during spring Training ....I dont want him as a starter.....and there are other arms that are better in the Bullpen......the only way I change my mind is if Ho-Ram pitches like Bob Gibson in ST.

Morrow at AAA Tacoma....not because I dont think he deserves to be on the big club...but I want him to get some seasoning as a Starter in the Minors.....just afraid he'll get shelled as a starter, and have to start from scap on his confidence.....He should have been working on being a starter last year.....if he did....we would be our #5 starter this year or a late year call up....and he would be ready....now....we are still in the same boat.....needing to get him experience and learning as a starter.

Trade Vidro for peanuts.....He's about to go over the hill and off the cliff.....dump him now for a c- prospect and eat 1 million of his salary.....one million now is better than the 6++++ million we will eat next year when he cant play, or we dont want him to play....Turbo...ya did well in 2007....but I didnt like the trade when it happen...and now I just worry production is gonna plummet.
Its not gonna happen...but I can hope....because if it does......

Ibanez to 80% DH....this is contingent to Vidro being gone....or Sexson being moved and Raul moving to 1B (I am 80% sold that Raul can play 1B decently).....
always need Lefties at safeco.....but the main reason I want him at DH...becasue that means we get better defense in LF....well...as long as its not Brad Wilkerson ..dont need to have a Right handed Raul in left field....we need defensive upgrade in Left.

Sign Bartolo Colon......it may sound crazy...but sign him for 3 million plus incentives.....
If he stinks in ST and his shoulder is shot....cut him and eat 500k.....if he's got his stuff back....hey...pretty good for a #5 starter....I mean...Ho-Ram sucks....made more sense to sign Jennings for the same amount.....at least Jennings has a shot at being decent this year....Ho-Ram doesnt (sorry buddy, I love all mariners players...but ya need to retire to help the team)

Find a Left handed bat for the bench (with power).....as it stands now....there is ZERO HR potential on the bench....Willie, Cairo, Burke and.....unless they have Wlad as the 4th outfield....zero power on the bench.....
Thats another thing.....Cairo?...why did we sign him...we already have a no hitting utility guy with no power and no hitting skills.....why do we need 2? To me its a waste of a roster spot...could have use it better.

A Miracle......I want the MAriners to Win the West....but as the Roster is now....We are 2nd in the West.....a distant second......

I know with the farm system, and wise moves....in 2 years we will be the contender and probably leading the angels....but patience sucks :-)

Oh...maybe a move with some of our bullpen for good prospects (not the standard reliver for scrub)...but we have alot of talent in the Bullpen....we should get some value for what we cant use now.

Geeze I could go on forever.....but I need sleep.

Ichiro is the Man!
Adrian Beltre is a 3B stud
Felix Hernandez is the True King

Go Mariners!!!

No comments: